Skip to main content

Finding Therapy

person sits on couch talking to therapist

The following resources can be used to help you find mental health treatment services, including affordable treatment for those without insurance, in your community.

Mental Health America's fact sheet "Finding the Right Care" and some of the sites listed below provide detailed information to help you choose a mental health professional and to enable you to better understand treatment options and the treatment process. Sites providing specialized treatment referrals for specific illnesses also include considerable information about the specific illness.

If you, or someone you know is in crisis, please seek help immediately. Contact the following organizations for information about 24-hour crisis services in your area:

The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline's 24 hour toll-free crisis hotline, 1.800.273.TALK (1.800.273.8255) can put you into contact with your local crisis center that can tell you where to seek immediate help in your area.

Those who are uncomfortable with speaking on the phone can text "MHA" to 741-741 to speak with a trained crisis counselor at Crisis Text Line.

The Child-Help USA 1.800.4.A.CHILD (1.800.422.4453) crisis line assists both child and adult survivors of abuse, including sexual abuse. The hotline, staffed by mental health professionals, also provides treatment referrals.

In areas where 211 is available, dialing this number can connect you with mental health crisis services in your area or help you find where to seek immediate help in your area.

For referrals to affordable community mental health services:

Your local Mental Health America affiliate is an excellent resource for information about local programs and services including affordable treatment services.

The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration's Health Information Network (SHIN) has a Mental Health Facilities Locator that can also help you find community outpatient, inpatient and residential treatment facilities, including affordable mental health services in your area.

The SAMHSA Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator and the SAMHSA 24/7 Treatment and Referral line at 1.800.662.4357 provide referrals to alcohol, substance abuse and dual diagnosis treatment facilities, including facilities that offer sliding scale fees and other special payment arrangements. Dual diagnosis services provide integrated treatment for individuals who have both an alcohol or substance abuse problem and a mental illness. Use the detailed search option on the left hand side of the page to find the facilities that most closely match your needs.

Rehab Locator offers a searchable database for drug and alcohol rehab centers.

Universities or teaching hospitals may also be a source of low-cost or free treatment services. It is recommended that you contact those in your area.

The World Federation for Mental Health can assist people from other countries throughout the world in finding mental health services in their area.

For referral to individual mental health providers:

You can use Psychology Today's Therapy Directory to search for mental health professionals in your area. You can search by zip code, city, last name, etc. For each provider listed, you can read about their therapy approach, specialty areas, information about their fees including whether they accept insurance and whether they offer sliding scale fees, as well as their credentials and contact information. There are a variety of options for sorting your results to find providers who most closely match your needs. You can also send them an initial e-mail.

Theravive provides a searchable directory of licensed therapists who seek to make mental health counseling safe and easily accessible. 

The Medicare Physician Compare can assist you in finding a physician who is enrolled in Medicare.

Your state Medicaid office, whose contact information can be found using the map on the National Association of State Medicaid Directors site, may be able to assist you in finding a provider who accepts Medicaid.

There are a number of professional provider associations and other national organizations that provide treatment referral services. These organizations are listed below with links to their websites.

Professional provider associations that provide treatment referral services include:

Professional provider organizations that serve specific audiences include:

Other organizations that offer specialized treatment referral services included: