Mental Health America has approved the following trainings for our MHA National Certified Peer Specialist (NCPS) Certification:
- RI International Peer Employment Training (PET): Since 2000, RI International and its training division, RI Consulting, have successfully trained and recruited Certified Peer Specialists. With one of the largest peer workforces in the world (650 and growing), all that we have learned over the years is reflected in our Peer Employment Training (PET) program, facilitated through RI Consulting. Also known as Certified Peer/Recovery Specialist Training, PET is facilitated nationwide, as well as in England and New Zealand. PET is the contracted training for the Veteran's Administration. PER is successful because it provides tools needed to support people on their path to employment AND inspires action. Our graduates take with them an intense belief in the reality of recovery, and the inspiration to do this work. In every PET class, students are supported to recognize who they are and what they have to bring to the role of Peer Support Specialist. PET's key principles are covered in depth and practiced using real-to-life scenarios over the course of two weeks. PET meets all Peer Support Competencies identified by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA).
- The Institute for Recovery and Community Integration Certified Peer Specialist Training: Mental Health Partnerships, formerly the Mental Health Association of Southeastern Pennsylvania, is home of the Institute for Recovery and Community Integration. The Institute has been authorized by the State Office of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services to train and certify Peer Support Specialists and Peer Support Supervisors in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania since 2007. We have trained over 3500 Certified Peer Specialists and 1200 CPS Supervisors. The Certified Peer Specialist curriculum focuses on the principles and philosophy of recovery and, throughout the course relates to individuals by applying their personal lived experiences to the core skills, knowledge and beliefs of peer-to-peer support. The Certified Peer Specialist Supervisor course hones in supervisors’ skills, knowledge and beliefs with to ensure the growth and development of Peer Support Specialists as they serve in the peer environment. Read more here.
- DBSA Peer Specialist Training: DBSA is a national leader in training for the Peer Specialist workforce: people who use their lived recovery experience to assist others in regaining hope, making the most of their chosen paths to wellness, and moving forward to achieve their goals. Our training curriculum was first piloted under a cooperative agreement with the Center for Mental Health Services/SAMHSA, and DBSA has trained Peer Specialists in 27 states and territories since 2004. DBSA offers 5-day Core and Veteran-specific Peer Specialist training courses in locations throughout the US, primarily on a contract basis. Our comprehensive and highly interactive training delivers a solid foundation in recovery principles, peer support intervention skills, and ethical practice. Training includes small group practice sessions to enhance the mastery of support skills and is followed by a post-course online exam to confirm knowledge. Successful completion of the DBSA Veteran Peer Specialist training course meets training/certification requirements for individuals seeking employment as VA peer support specialists.
- Project Return Peer Support Network's Peer Professional Training & Placement Program: The Project Return Peer Professional Training and Placement program prepares people who are, or who have been, consumers of mental health services for roles in the public mental health system as employees or volunteers. Individuals who complete the program are able to support the recovery of others and transform our mental health systems through the skillful use of lived experience. This training includes classroom instruction and an internship.
- WISE U Peer Support Training Academy: The WISE U Peer Support Training Academy is based on SAMHSA core principles for peer support as well as organizational knowledge from NorCal Mental Health America, one of California's oldest peer-run consumer advocacy agencies. The ten-day (90+ hours) interactive training course is offered four times during the year with a primary goal of placing WISE U graduates in permanent full-time or part-time, paid or volunteer peer positions in the public mental health field.
- Appalachian Consulting Group Peer Specialist Core Recovery Curriculum Training: The Appalachian Consulting Group has trained peer specialists in 35 states after creating the GA Certified Peer Specialist Curriculum introduced in 2001 for pioneering Medicaid-billable peer support services. Our curriculum, or ACG and state approved modifications of it, is used in most states and parts of Canada.
Other approved trainings:
Interested in becoming an NCPS training partner? Fill out our application here.