RPC Meeting: Denver, Colorado: Peer-ing Into The Future
Peer-ing Into The Future
Tuesday, August 2, 2022
7:45 - 9:15 a.m.
Legislator Awards Breakfast honoring 2022 State Legislative Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Champions
- Opening remarks: Karmen Hanson from NCSL and previous honoree Utah State Representative Steve Eliason
9:15 - 9:30 a.m.
Welcome by Mental Health President and CEO Schroeder Stribling
9:30 - 10:15 a.m.
Keynote: Peers in Crisis Care Transformation
- David Covington, LPC, MBA, President and CEO RI International
10:15 - 10:45 a.m.
Youth Perspective into the Future of Healing Communities and Peer Pathways
- Kelly Davis, Associate Vice President of Peer Advocacy, Supports, and Services Mental Health America (MHA)
10:45 - 11 a.m.
11 - 11:30 a.m.
A Peer in Action
- Emily Pocock, Peer Health Navigator CO-ACT
11:30 a.m. - noon
Peers Inside of Corrections
- Melissa Smith, Colorado Dept. of Corrections
12:30 - 1:15 p.m.
Networking Lunch (provided)
1:15 - 1:45 p.m.
Peers Creating Innovative Engagement
- Heather Simms, Deputy Director Peer Advocacy and Community Initiatives, Collaborative Support Programs of New Jersey
- Anne Smullen Thieling, Deputy Director, Community Programs, Collaborative Support Programs of New Jersey
1:45 - 2:15 p.m.
Digital Peer Support and the Role of Technology in Recovery
- Dr. Karen Fortuna, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry at Dartmouth College
2:15 - 2:45 p.m.
How MHA Affiliates Employ Peers in Innovative Ways
- Regional Policy Council Representative Ben Harrington, MHA of East TN
- Regional Policy Council Representative Shannah Mulvihill, Mental Health Minnesota
2:45 - 3 p.m.
6 - 8 p.m.
Affiliate ONLY Dinner by Invitation: Location TBD
Curtis Hotel at 1405 Curtis Street, Denver, CO 80202
MHA invites affiliates to join the next RPC meeting about peers and crisis response: Peer-ing Into the Future. Affiliates receive a yearly stipend to offset travel costs to RPC meetings, and the stipend amount has been increased to $1,000. The meeting will take place in Denver, CO on Tuesday, August 2nd, beginning with the Legislative Awards Ceremony at 7:45 am local time. A networking lunch will allow affiliates to learn more about other affiliate organizations and priorities. The policy meeting will conclude at 2:30 pm and the affiliate dinner will take place at 6:00 pm (on the same evening as the meeting) at a nearby restaurant. Affiliates may have dinner on their own on Monday, August 1, the day before the meeting when they arrive.